[gothic-l] Re: Re; Francisc

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 16 08:51:35 UTC 2003

Hi, Sunny,

the official historiography in Romania always considered and
considers also now that the identification of Getae with Goths is
totally wrong. I learned in the school some 30 years ago, like all
the school-age children of Romania, that Jordanes was totally wrong
by identifying the Goths with the Getae, basd only on a name
ressemblance. And today the attitude is the same. All the Romanians
learn at school that the Goths, like other nomadic peoples, came and
went, but the ancestors of the Romanians stayed in place. These were
the Thracian Daco-Getae, who became romanized and their descendants
are the Romanians of today.
Now, considering the language: if the Goths were germanized Getae,
there should be some Thracic substratum in Gothic. But, as I already
said, taking appart the Greek-Latin loanwords introduced mostly by
Wulfila himself to render biblical terms, the Gothic language of the
4th century is purely Germanic, with very few (2-3) probably Slavic
words.
The other alternative would be that the Getae were Germanic, fact
which would contradict all the ancient sources that present them as
Thracians.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Sunny" <sunnyjat12002 at y...> wrote:
> Hi Francisc,
>
> "Indeed, as I already mentioned, ti was not my intention to offend
> anybody. I just wanted to warn against that kind of excessed to
which
> unfortunately I was witness in too many instances, as I have shown
in
> my message. Maybe the "über alles" was an unhappy choise, I used it
> only to be more convincing. And I have to apologize if anybody felt
> offended by this, having in view that in that message I used this
> expression not only for Jats, but also for Romanians, Hungarians,
> Jews, Turks, Austronesians, etc."
>
> No one was offended by this comment, for me it is actually
> encouraging.  I can understand your concern, but the identification
> with the Jats and Getae is by no means a terra incognita, it was
> first proposed from Western perspective by Father Monserate (1536-
> 1600), a Jesuit Priest in Akbar's (Moghul King) court; he believed
> the Jats were the Getae of the Classical writers.  In the mid
1750's
> Joseph De Guignes, the French Orientalist also claimed the Jats
were
> Indo-Scythians.
>
> James Tod, in 1829, was the first to suggest the link between
Rajput,
> Jat, Getae, Yuezhi, and the Goths.  Alexander Cunningham, the
former
> Director-General of the Archaeological Survey of India, in 1888,
> suggest the Jats were descendents of the Xanthi of Strabo, and then
> later (1894) the Iatii (Yuezhi) of Ptolemy.  By the 1930's British
> authorities used the words "Jat", "Getae", and "Scythian"
> interchangeably; though this notation, in my opinion, was loose and
> crude.
>
> Cunningham, A. Coins of the Indo-Scythians, Sakas, and Kushans.
> Varanasi, India. Reprinted by Indological Book House: 1971, first
> published in 1888.
>
> Cunningham A. Later Indo-Scythians, from the Numismatic Chronicle
> 1893-1894. Varanasi, India. Reprinted by Indological Book House:
> 1979, first published in 1894.
>
> De Guignes.  Academi des Inscriptions. Vol. XXV: 1756.
>
> Maclagan, E. The Jesuits and The Great Moghals. Gurgaon, India.
> Vintage Books: 1990.
>
> Tod, J. Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan. Vol. 1. Delhi. Motilal
> Banarsidass: 1971, First Published in 1829.
>
> Take care,

Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your HP at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5706&lp=home/hp.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/arYXfA/.xWGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM