[gothic-l] Scientific methodology, Kephart, Dhillon (was); Andreas

Ravi Chaudhary ravichaudhary2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 18 17:51:30 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Schwarcz"
<andreas.schwarcz at u...> wrote:

Re Msg 7252 by Dr Schwartz

 No disrespect intended.

 Dr Dhillon: -

If Dr Dhillon is a renowned scientist, he can hardly then be accused
of being lacking in the skills required for scientific methodology
and reasoning, in fact it must  then be accepted as him  knowing
quite a bit about it.

 Professor Kephart: -

If Prof.  Calvin Kephart is a trained lawyer, and  was a Professor of
Law and Jurisprudence, he would be expected to know about the rules
of evidence accepted to the higher standards expected of the
Judiciary.

Certainly I doubt guesswork would be acceptable as evidence to him or
to any lawyer or a Judicial Judge.

The question is whether he would research and write a book that would
be fantasy and go against the very academic discipline he lived,
breathed and taught.

 Somehow prima facie, I find that difficult to accept, based on the
evidence so far provided.

 Whether he wrote his book at the age of 77 or not is I suggest not
quite germane.

Bernard Lewis is now over 84 and quite respected for his intellect.
Many notable serving members of the Judiciary, known for the sharp
intellect are in that age group in many countries.

IMPACT:-

 Dr Schwarz states they have not made impact. Impact is a matter of
positioning, getting the message out, getting it accepted. I think
all of us see that, something is published, next it is in the
curriculum, and is then accepted wisdom.

 If these texts had been included in school and university
curriculums they would be the accepted wisdom.

As new evidence arises, and our views of the past change, it is
difficult to change the existing curriculum, - inertia is faced – old
theories are still supported .

For myself, I have read Dillon's book, it is an interesting reading.
I am not convinced of all that he writes.

 Kephart I have not read and cannot comment.

If nothing else. this discussion, Dr Schwarz and others permitting,
will define for us and others, how to examine the " subject" and
arrive at an acceptable methodology and boundaries.

 I find that quite often that in it provides productive avenues of
exploration.

Best regards

Ravi

Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM