[gothic-l] Re; Andreas

sunnytjatsingh sunnytjatsingh at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 21 16:53:04 UTC 2003

Hi Andreas,

"We know who they were and where they were from the end of the second
century AD, when they first appear in the sources, and we know about
their
predecessors, the Gothones from about the time of Tiberius, and the
Wielbark
culture
To speculate about Goths in connection with Getae and
Massagetae is case for
amateurs, who did not study the way in which Cassiodorus and Jordanes
construed
their learned arguments for the Ostrogothic and Byzantine court in
the sixth
century."

Here's the big problem – Every classical writer who actually
witnessed the Gothi or Goths believed they were Scythian or Getae –
not one, let me repeat, not even one classical writer has even
suggested that the forerunners of Goths were the Guttones, or Butones
(Strabo)?

Otherwise, how does an unimportant, and virtually unknown Germanic
(note: Tacitus is the only person who calls them Germanic) tribe like
Gutones who received about 1 or 2 lines by Pytheas, Pliny, Ptolemy,
and Tacitus (also note Strabo writes about the Butones not Gutones)
be the forerunners of the powerful Gothi who a couple centuries,
after being discussed by the aforementioned authors, had their kings
crowned in Rome?

In short there is absolutely NO classical testimony for the Gutones
hypothesis, rather based on Jordanes mention of Scandza, whose
migration sees them leaving Scandza 1500 years before the dating of
Wielbark (Christensen 2002)? So why such a strange conjecture that is
not substantiated by any classical texts that deal with Gothi or
Goths?

Now, to discredit Jordanes and Cassidorus is one thing, but to
discredit Isidore of Seville, Dexxipus, Procopius, Orosius is yet
another.  Best Wishes,

Buy No Snore & Get a Good Night's Sleep. Natural Oral Spray -- $24.95
(1 bottle, 1 month supply, with sweet almond oil, eucalyptus oil & more).
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2881&lp=h515.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2oMABA/nuYGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM