[gothic-l] Re: Arianism

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jun 26 07:47:11 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Mikael Bynke" <adragoor at p...> wrote:
> >   Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 21:52:28 -0700 (PDT)
> >   From: greg scaff <g_scaff at y...>
> >Subject: (unknown)
> >
> >Hails,
> >   Does anyone know, or have any idea, of what Goths may have
called the
> >Arian and Orthodox churches?  Besides "Us" and "Them", I mean.
Surely the
> >Gothic church wasn't called "Arian' in ancient times? Or was it?
> >Thank you all for your input,
> >Graig
>
> Surely the Gothic church was known as Arian! After all arianism
derives its
> name from Arius... Lets also not forget that in the time of
Wulfila, there
> were three different christian movements (Catholicism, Arianism and
Audianism)
> across the Danube, and that was even before the majority of the
goths were
> christian. From early on even the common Goth must have known that
there
> were many variteties of christianity, and also which of them he was
converted
> to.
>
> /Mikael Bynke

I think it is not quite right to speak of a 'Gothic church'. The
Arian church, which as Mikael rightly said derives its name from the
Roman bishop Arius, was also a Roman church. I am not sure if the
contemporaries would have really used the term Arian though. Both
churches regarded themselves as 'the one and true church' of course.
The Arian church is also known by the name homophysitic church if I
remember correctly. In general, the real difference between Arianism
and Catholoicism is marginal.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM