[gothic-l] Re: Scandinavian Goths

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jun 26 15:21:58 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar at n...>
wrote:
> Hej Martin!
>
> Christensen, as Dirk recommends, is nothing else but a new Weibull.
You
> could as well read Curt Weibulls argumentation in Scandia nr.
> 23.1955-57. There are still different opinions on Jordanes.I
suggest you
> read my book, based on my dissertation, "Goterkällan-Om goterna i
Norden
> och på kontinenten" in Swedish.

I am sure that Ingemar's book will be very informative on this
subject, yet Christensen's main purpose is to evaluate
Jordanes/Cassiodorus' Getica and he does that excellently, correctly
and in unseen detail. He reviews the entire debate on those names,
which is of greatest importance if you want to understand them.

One of the insight you can glean from Christensen and which follows
from the mainstream literatur of the past 20 years is that the
headline to this post is wrong. There are no Scandinavian Goths and
there never were Scandinavian Goths. The term Scandinavian Goths is
historically and ethnically incorrect and shows that the user has
insufficient grasp of the literature.

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM