[gothic-l] GUTANI WIHAILAG

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 30 09:11:17 UTC 2003

Hi, Dirk,

I write 'GUTANI WIHAILAG' because it is in Gothic and because it's
from my country, Romania. In fact, the runes read GUTANI?WIHAILAG,
where ? is for the illegible rune at the place of the fracture of the
necklace. I know that there are still controversies regarding the
interpretation of this text, but I personally think that it is not
very plausible the interpretation of GUTANI as 'gutane' = 'good'.
First: indeed, in German 'gut' = 'good', but in Gothic 'good' is
goths/goda-, so the genitive plural, weak adjectival declension,
would be 'godane', not 'gutane'.
Second: it doesn't make sense in this context to put the
adjective 'good' in genitive plural. But the substantive "Goth" in
genitive plural - "of the Goths" is more meaningful.
So I still prefer to consider that the most plausible interpretation
of GUTANI is 'gutane' = 'of the Goths'.

With best regards,
Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM