[gothic-l] Re: GUTANI WIHAILAG

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jun 30 10:13:25 UTC 2003

Hi Francisc,

I have no linguistic knowledge and rely only on secondary sources.
The reading 'GUTANE JER WEIH HAILAG' I found in a recent article by
A. Schwarcs "Cult and Religion among the Tervingi and the Visigoths
and their conversion to Christianity" in 'The Visigoths from the
Migration to the 7th Century: An Ethnographic Perspective', Ed. P.
Heather, 2000.

p. (page numbers not on my copy) "A recent study one by Hermann
Reichert with a thorough scrutiny of th eoriginal in Bucarest in 1992
gives as the most plausible reading of this runic inscription "gutane
jer weih hailag", a blessing for a fruitful and prosperous year..."

The Runenprojekt of the University of Kiel in Germany also records
the following alternative interpretations:

Gutani¿ w³hhailag
sacrosanctum of gothic women/female warriors(?)
Antonsen, Elmer H. 1975

Gutaniom hailag
dedicated to the Gothic Mothers (=female guardian spirits of the
Goths)
Krogmann, Willy. 1978

(G)ut(an³) (¿) (1Z) (w³)hh(a)i(l)ag ...
the Goths' protector (=king) (1Z) [be/is] sacrosanct ...
Isb&%escu, Mihai. 1960

guttani hailag wiko
holy song of the Goths - Wiko (=rota of the great cult of the tribe)
Gutenbrunner, Siegfried. 1964

Gutani¿ w³h hailag
the holy relic of gothic priestesses (=the [altar] ring)
Johnsen, Ingrid Sanness., 1971

Gutan³ (¿) [1Z] (w³)h hailag
the Goths' hereditary property - (1Z) - consecrated [and] inviolable
Krause, Wolfgang, Herbert Jankuhn.
1966

What is clear from this list is that the reading and the translation
is rather uncertain. However, in contrast to Reichert's latest study
not all of these translations above will have been based on a close
analysis of the original ring, so that some of them likely suffer
from a misreading of the runes.

cheers
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Hi, Dirk,
>
> I write 'GUTANI WIHAILAG' because it is in Gothic and because it's
> from my country, Romania. In fact, the runes read GUTANI?WIHAILAG,
> where ? is for the illegible rune at the place of the fracture of
the
> necklace. I know that there are still controversies regarding the
> interpretation of this text, but I personally think that it is not
> very plausible the interpretation of GUTANI as 'gutane' = 'good'.
> First: indeed, in German 'gut' = 'good', but in Gothic 'good' is
> goths/goda-, so the genitive plural, weak adjectival declension,
> would be 'godane', not 'gutane'.
> Second: it doesn't make sense in this context to put the
> adjective 'good' in genitive plural. But the substantive "Goth" in
> genitive plural - "of the Goths" is more meaningful.
> So I still prefer to consider that the most plausible
interpretation

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM