[gothic-l] (unknown)

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Wed Mar 19 02:03:48 UTC 2003

 greg scaff <g_scaff at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hails,

     I am curious as to the origin of the word "balan", mentioned in Procopius'  History of the Wars, V, XVlll, in my vol, p 173, ",,,and his whole body was dark grey, except that his face from the top of his head to the nostrils was the purest white.  Such a horse the Greeks call "phalius" and the barbarians "balan." Within the context of this passage it seems that Procopius was referring to Ostrogoths as the barbarians in question, but not definatively.  I'm aware that "balan" is unattested as a Gothic word.  Can it be identified as having  a known Iranic/Turkic/Arabic or other origin? Are there any Germanic  cognates? Has anyone studied this word before?  I would appreciate your ideas and comments, thank you.

Greg

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

is this particular reading in gothic or what. is balan gothic for horse- i dont know. but maybe you might know some word meanings i hadnt found in wrights glossary or the german-gotisch glossary. here they are- hot,south,north,on,off,feel,feelings,close,finish,blue,gray,brown,yellow----ik andbeiden izwar andwaurdwa.swa larsizuhain andbeiden skura seina--nightly bath?   afletan mein dwalipa waurdei, im swe sidondan mein gutiska.---awiulidon bropar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM