[gothic-l] (unknown)

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Wed Mar 19 06:43:20 UTC 2003

Hi Greg!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have not a direct answer on your question
regarding the "barbaric" word "balan".
But I draw your attention to the Russian word
"bulany" as a horse color. "Bulany" is regularly
translated in English as "dun" though old
Russian explanatory dictionaries treat the notion
as "ore-yellow, yellowish of diverse tints,
with the mane and tail being black or deep-brown,
and usually with a strap along spinal column".

I do not know the exact origin of "bulany" but
Turkic (Kuman) extraction looks most probable.
I guess you should search in this direction.

Good luck,

Vladimir