[gothic-l] Re: (unknown)

matthew carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Wed Mar 19 08:58:03 UTC 2003

Koebler suggests
Go. *Bala- refers orig. to 'white', and spec. a horse with a white
marking, i.e. a "blaze" (cf. Byz. 'balas'), prob. < s. germ. *bala-
"white, light, shining" < PIE (Pok.) *bha'-(1). THere is the gothic adj.
*bal-s, PIE *bhel-(1) v. ref. (Pok.). It may be an extended form in
*blagks < *blankaz "white" (> it. bianco, fr. blanc).

There is of course baltic similarity in Lith. balts "white", Rus. byel-.

-Matthew

http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM