[gothic-l] Re: (unknown)

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Mar 19 08:39:58 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at i...> wrote:
> Hi Greg!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-
com:office:office" />

> I have not a direct answer on your question
> regarding the "barbaric" word "balan".
> But I draw your attention to the Russian word
> "bulany" as a horse color. "Bulany" is regularly
> translated in English as "dun" though old
> Russian explanatory dictionaries treat the notion
> as "ore-yellow, yellowish of diverse tints,
> with the mane and tail being black or deep-brown,
> and usually with a strap along spinal column".
>

> I do not know the exact origin of "bulany" but
> Turkic (Kuman) extraction looks most probable.
> I guess you should search in this direction.
>

> Good luck,
>
> Vladimir

Hi Vladimir,

perhaps 'belyi' Russian for white is a possible link? Not sure
what 'white' would be in Old Slavonic.

cheers
Dirk

in Procopius'  History of the Wars, V, XVlll, in my vol, p
173, ",,,and his whole body was dark grey, except that his face from
the top of his head to the nostrils was the purest white.  Such a
horse the Greeks call "phalius" and the barbarians "balan." Within
the context of this passage it seems that Procopius was referring to
Ostrogoths as the barbarians in question, but not definatively.  I'm
aware that "balan" is unattested as a Gothic word.  Can it be
identified as having  a known Iranic/Turkic/Arabic or other origin?
Are there any Germanic  cognates? Has anyone studied this word
before?  I would appreciate your ideas and comments, thank you.

> Greg
>

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
>

> You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a
blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Service.

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17
05297328:HM/A=1481646/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300
_flake/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>
>   <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1481646/rand=371
930928>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM