[gothic-l] introduction and a question

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 21 18:20:17 UTC 2003

Sorry for the tardy response.

I suggest for a translation of "Fire of life, make holy this place and keep
out all evil":

"Fon þizos libainais, weihais þana staþ warjaizuh all þata ubil."

Perhaps "hina" would be a better choice for "this" than "þana", which has a
sense more like "the" or "that"; on the other hand, I am not sure how free we
should feel to use forms like "hina", and "himma". The surviving examples of
their use seem to suggest that they were mainly employed in particular
phrases, such as "himma daga", on this day.

Gerry T.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM