[gothic-l] Re: Gothic terms

matthew carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Fri May 2 09:29:17 UTC 2003

Hails Dirk-

Thanks for the notes and clarifications.

> I think Gothic 'Harjatuga' is equivalent to Old Saxon 'Haratog,
> Hartog', i.e. modern German 'Herzog', which means Dux, Duke. The
> world includes a first element meaning 'army' and a second element,
> which is cognate to modern German 'ziehen'.

Sorry I did not clarify this part enough. I was relating an argument I
read.
I think the author of the book was trying to argue that this word was
based
on a Greek form, perhaps strategos (lit. army-leader) which would have
been
borrowed & calqued through a Germanic people, probably Goths, and thence
spread in usage. I will locate his argument if you wish. I think that
the essence
of this is to show that such a kind of leader was a newer concept for
which
previous native terms were not seen to be adequate.

-Matthew

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/uetFAA/wWMplB/TM