[gothic-l] Re: Digest Number 757

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Sat May 3 17:51:42 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar at n...>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Concerning Herzog the Swedish equivalent is 'hertig' if that is of
any
> use.Birger jarl, whose title was jarl, i.e.earl, counted himself as
dux
> in the 13th c.
> Best
> Ingemar

Thanks Ingemar,

so I understand that the title of Herzog/Hertig, as Dux was used in
Sweden as well. Unless this Swedish nobleman borrowed the title from
Germany, this might suggest that the term, i.e. the concept was
common Germanic and perhaps not borrowed by the Goths from  the
Greek. Yet, I think the title Herzog or similar was not used in Anglo-
Saxon England.

cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/uetFAA/wWMplB/TM