[gothic-l] Re: Digest Number 757

Terje Ellefsen radiorabia at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat May 3 17:55:55 UTC 2003

Hails!

Weren't alien warleaders called heretoga in Old English? I believe they
called viking warlords heretoga (but I'm not sure). It would make sense, as
they called their own army "fyrd" and alien armies "here".

Terje

>From: "faltin2001" <dirk at smra.co.uk>
>To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Digest Number 757
>Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 17:51:42 -0000
>
>--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar at n...>
>wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Concerning Herzog the Swedish equivalent is 'hertig' if that is of
>any
> > use.Birger jarl, whose title was jarl, i.e.earl, counted himself as
>dux
> > in the 13th c.
> > Best
> > Ingemar
>

>Thanks Ingemar,
>
>so I understand that the title of Herzog/Hertig, as Dux was used in
>Sweden as well. Unless this Swedish nobleman borrowed the title from
>Germany, this might suggest that the term, i.e. the concept was
>common Germanic and perhaps not borrowed by the Goths from  the
>Greek. Yet, I think the title Herzog or similar was not used in Anglo-
>Saxon England.
>
>cheers
>Dirk

MSN Messenger http://www.msn.no/messenger - Den korteste veien mellom deg og
dine venner

Access Your Work PC from Home and leave your Laptop Behind!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ssvdqB/Wq8FAA/uetFAA/wWMplB/TM