[gothic-l] Re: Digest Number 844

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Nov 5 15:50:03 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar at n...>
wrote:
> Hi Reikhardus,
>
> Many, many thanks for this. It is a wonderful map and I look
forward to
> a continuation. There are not so many names although and I know
there
> are more. E.g. names on Ring- and Rynek/Rynok and similar forms
like
> Ryngach, Rindau in Ukraine, Ringels in Kaliningrad and Ryndela in
S:t
> Petersburg.

AFAIK, Rindau was founded by Germans in the 18th century, like
Rikhenau (Richenau) also in the Ukraine. 'au' is a rather common
south German placename component and means something like 'meadow by
the water'. The placename just north of Kaliningrad is likely a new
Russian name, since the Russians renamed all German placenames in
Kaliningrad oblast, deliberately eradicating all reference to pre-
Soviet history. The other names you mentioned I find also highly
problematic, but we have been over that before.

Cheers

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM