[gothic-l] Re: Digest Number 844

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Thu Nov 6 00:06:04 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

> AFAIK, Rindau was founded by Germans in the 18th century, like
> Rikhenau (Richenau) also in the Ukraine. 'au' is a rather common
> south German placename component and means something like 'meadow by
> the water'. The placename just north of Kaliningrad is likely a new
> Russian name, since the Russians renamed all German placenames in
> Kaliningrad oblast, deliberately eradicating all reference to pre-
> Soviet history. The other names you mentioned I find also highly
> problematic, but we have been over that before.

Hi Dirk,

Yes, I know your opinion, but I thought we were speaking of names with
a Germanic origin  which evidently even could be later, as you
obviously claim for Rindau. Maybe it is correct and maybe not.
Concerning Ringels in Kaliningrad it's Russian form is Iskrovo so it
is indeed changed now. Nevertheless I think we continue to have
different opinion in these matters at the time being.

Best
Ingemar

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.