[gothic-l] Gothic word order?

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 1 22:34:49 UTC 2003

What was Gothic word-order like? The trouble with attempts to answer this
question is that the surviving Gothic consists of not much more than Wulfila's
translation of the New Testament, and Wulfila often stuck very closely to the
word-order of the original Greek. Indeed, some apparently Gothic idioms may also
result from literal translation of the Greek, and might perhaps have seemed
strange to the Goths themselves. However, my knowledge of Greek is too
rudimentary for me to comment extensively on these matters. Possibly Wulfila's
departures from strict literalness in his translation would be illuminating for
someone with the knowledge and training to interpret them.

A few rune-writings are as old as Gothic and might also shed light on early
Germanic word-order; but if so, this is also a matter for others rather than me
to comment on.

Gerry T.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM