[gothic-l] Gothic word order?

David Kiltz dkiltz at GMX.NET
Mon Sep 1 07:33:00 UTC 2003

On Dienstag, August 19, 2003, at 09:22  Uhr, aldhissla wrote:

> Hello fellow group members, I just joined and I'm looking forward
> to discuss about the Goths ( or should I say "thai gutans?".
> I do have a question, how does the word order in Gothic work? Is it
> straightforward like in English, or is it like in German where verbs
> are placed after the subject. Or completly different(most likely) if
> someone knows, write!

Both English and German word order are 'straight forward' (with German
having a little thing in relative clauses but is still regular) and
they both place the verb after the subject.
Cf. "Peter eats fish" "Peter ist Fisch". In Gothic, word order is SPO
as can be seen in e.g. the Naples documents. The language of the Bible
is trickier as it is translated from the Greek (itself translated from
a Semitic idiom). I recommend you get a Gothic grammar to further
investigate.

David

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM