[gothic-l] Re: Vladimir

gazariah brahmabull at HUSHMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 16 15:37:44 UTC 2003

Vladimir,

You speak of /jarilo/ in Old Russian. Where do we have it attested? I
find it in Dal', but that only takes us back to the 19th century. It
would be good to have some kind of idea about how old the word is.

The idea about +dlo was my own, and I am very ready to give it up. In
any case, the formant /-elo/ present in /chuchelo/ and /pugalo/ (both
meaning a dummy or scarecrow), seems to account for /jarilo/ as based
on the same pattern, with root from /jara/.

Dal' speaks of /jarilo/ as the name of a pre-Christian deity, but
Vasmer, after giving that theory and citing the literature, finds it
unconvincing.

If you advise not relying "too much" on Vasmer, what would you
recommend as a reference? People have been etymologizing for a long
time, and it seems to me we should at least start with a reference
that reviews whatever work has been done in the past.

Regards,
Gazariah

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM