[gothic-l] Boyar and related

?????? ???????? vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Mon Sep 22 07:08:04 UTC 2003

*<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hi, Gazariah!

I'm far from insisting on Germanic origin
of Russian [udel]. But your argumentation
in favor of the proper Slavic origin is
not irreproachable. Yes, the word [delit']
in Russian means "to divide" and "to share".
But the meanings for [udelit'] are rather
"to spare" or "to find (time for something)"
than "to divide" or "to share". Using
the prefix [u-] is unjustified here
unless it is, for instance, provoked by
Germanic "odal".

Your etymology of [bojarin] from Slavic [bolii]
looks interesting and maybe has the right to live,
though I did not find the stem [bolii] in any
Slavic language. Only Russian has [bol'eje] as
"greater" or "more", but this stem is not so old.
The Old Slavic for "greater" was [vent'i]
(with nasal "e"), which was transformed into
modern Czech "vice" and Polish "wiecej".
Old Russian also had "v'asij".

Regards,

Vladimir