[gothic-l] Boyar and related

gazariah brahmabull at HUSHMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 22 14:55:49 UTC 2003

Hi, Vladimir!

> Yes, the word [delit']
> in Russian means "to divide" and "to share".
> But the meanings for [udelit'] are rather
> "to spare" or "to find (time for something)"
> than "to divide" or "to share". Using
> the prefix [u-] is unjustified here
> unless it is, for instance, provoked by
> Germanic "odal".

Vladimir, your argument is based on modern Russian, but semantics
change. Consider how /deal/ is used now in English, compared with
Modern German /teilen/. If you consider /u-chast'/ "lot, fate"
with /chast'/ meaning "share," or /u-rok/ "agreement" (/urochnyj/ has
this meaning in modern Russian) from /rek~rok/ "speak," you will see
the justification for prefix /u-/, which many examples show can mean
the result of a process.

> I did not find the stem [bolii] in any
> Slavic language. Only Russian has [bol'eje] as
> "greater" or "more", but this stem is not so old.

Old Church Slavic /bolii/ (Old Bulgarian is another name for this
language.)
Bulgarian /bol'e/
SerboCroat /bolji/
Slovene /bolje/
All of these mean "greater" or "better"
Further:
Sanskrit /bal-/ "strong"
Greeki /bel-t-/ "better"
Latin /de-bil-/ "weak, deprived of strength."

So the root is well established in IE.

But /bojarin/ is a nut that nobody has really cracked yet, and I
doubt it can be cracked here.

By the way, I am still waiting for the explanation of /bo/ in the
proposed /bo+jarl/ version.

Regards,
Gazariah

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM