[gothic-l] Re: boLyar

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Tue Sep 30 05:57:08 UTC 2003

*<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hi Gazariah!

I agree the hypothesis, as you have it represented,
looks unlikely. But I'd like to correct your
representation slightly in a way that would make
the hypothesis a bit more realistic.

1. A Norse word [bo+jarl] (which we don't seem to
have attested) was borrowed into Russian very early.
Let us suppose somewhere in 9-10th centuries.

2. The word made its way into some Slavic territories,
in particular Bulgaria, by Svyatoslav who had conquered
Bulgaria in '70s of the 10th c. and occupied its
significant part several years. Note that, first,
Svyatoslav's high-rank commanders were Scandinavians
(Sfenkel, Ikmor, Sveneld), and, second, some groups
of Bulgarians supported Svyatoslav against the Byzantines
and served in his army.

3. The borrowed word changed its form under influence
of Danube Bulgarian. The Bulgarians had an earlier
Turkic word like [behler] or [bajlar] (the plural of
[bek] or [baj], I do not know what is more correct
for Danube Bulgarian). Two simile words, [bo-jarl] and
[bajlar], both alien to Slavic Bulgarians, merged into
Slavic [bol'ar] and acquired the marker /+in/ to give
/bol'arin/.
4. This merged word, reformed not as a native word
but as another kind of foreign word, was preserved with
the meaning of "nobleman" and appeared, in particular,
in texts translated from Greek.

I do not affirm this representation to be ideal.
But where are ideal hypotheses on [bojar'e]?

Regards,

Vladimir