[gothic-l] Re: boLyar

gazariah brahmabull at HUSHMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 30 14:13:32 UTC 2003

Greetings, Vladimir!

Just three comments, and then I am going to let this rest unless some
new evidence comes up. I'm afraid we're boring others on the list.

> 2. The word made its way into some Slavic territories,
> in particular Bulgaria, by Svyatoslav who had conquered
> Bulgaria in '70s of the 10th c. and occupied its
> significant part several years.

It was less than ten years, I believe. And all the while a military
campaign was in progress. Not the best conditions for transmitting
loan words.

> 3. The borrowed word changed its form under influence
> of Danube Bulgarian. The Bulgarians had an earlier
> Turkic word like [behler] or [bajlar] (the plural of
> [bek] or [baj], I do not know what is more correct
> for Danube Bulgarian). Two simile words, [bo-jarl] and
> [bajlar], both alien to Slavic Bulgarians, merged into
> Slavic [bol'ar] and acquired the marker /+in/ to give
> /bol'arin/.

A. I can't think of other cases in liguistic history where loan words
have influenced loan words. The usual process is for loan words to be
integrated into the native language.
B. Since you are suggesting, as many have done, that there was
already a Turkic loan like /bajlar/ (whether or not from Danube
Bulgarian, a language about which very little is known for certain),
what need is there to put a Norse/Russian loan word into the mix? It
strikes me as a completely unnecessary complication of the picture.

Best regards,
Gazariah

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM