[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Connections, Anders Kaliff

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Wed Aug 4 23:03:43 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth at a...> wrote:

> Has anyone read Anders Kaliff's book "Gothic Connections"?
> If so, I would be glad to hear your critiques.
>
> F.E.J.D. IV

Hi Frithunanths,

I have read it and find it quite interesting. I give you a very short
summary of his general wiews, that I share in the great lines but of
course not totally. His results tend to strenghten the presumed
connection between Scandinavia and the Continental Goths.Kaliff has
examined archaeological finds from eastern Sweden  and demonstrated
that they indicate close contacts with the Baltic coastal area on the
Continent, and further down in south-easterly direction. He has
demonstrated that this is indicated in material already from the
Bronze Age. There are continous indications of close contacts between
eastern Sweden, Balticum and Poland. Pottery, graves and house
constructions point towards contacts with the Lusatian culture, but
also further. He assumes a kind of alliance-system between chieftains
in different areas during the Pre-Roman and Roman Iron Age upholding
trade routes over the Baltic Sea between Scandinavia and the
Wielbark-culture and supports himself among else with similarities in
grave-constructions. He rejects however a mass emigration and admits
the Wielbark-culture mostly originates from earlier local cultures,
but he still sees old and lasting contacts and influences going both
ways between the areas starting already in the Lusatian culture
between groups of chieftains  getting closer and closer related which
eventually, he means, could result in similarities of material
culture, burial habits and language. Consequently he means that the
history of Jordanes very well could be based on an oral tradition of
kind. I can recommend the book.

Best
Ingemar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM