[gothic-l] Re: Visigoths not "Booted Out"

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Aug 9 07:49:58 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth at a...> wrote:
> Faltin,

F,E.J.D IV,

if you want to address my by my surname only then it is a matter of
minimum courtesy to write Mr. Faltin or Dr. Faltin. Your address is
an insult!

> I have already answered and educated you about these things

No it is you who clearly needs education.

on numerous
> occasions over and over again... and (as is obvious to everyone by
now)
> it sems you are still confused.

What is that slanderous devious tactic?

You continually revert to the same
> discussion tactics that I warned others about and that were
carefully
> dissected by me on post #7603, that is, your penchant for NEVER
> providing YOUR sources,

Now you are making false statements as can easily be shown by
reference to the archives. Is that your tactic spreading lies about
others who have contributed a lot more to this list than you.

while asking them of everyone else,  your
> obvious lack of knowledge about Spanish history; your derogatory
and
> racist remarks towards me on one of your previous posts, and your
> unceasing and selective parsing of sentences etc. (to name a few
> things). These seem to be a way for you to remain comfortable in
what
> you seem to think history should be.

No, it is your constant wish to glorify the Visigoths, to equalise
Spaniards with Visigoths and to distort Visigothic history which I
take issue with.

> Nonetheless, out of pitty I will still advise you to get yourself
some
> "beginning level" books on Spanish history and some English reading
> courses before you make more absurd remarks.

Another insult which completely dishonours yourself. These kind of
posts should not appear on such a list. In fact, these kind of
insults should result in an immediate dismissal I think. It is you
who deserves my pity.

Visigothic history should be studied free of nationalist and
patriotic distorsions. Visigothic history was important for the
making of Spain, but its role should not be blown out of all
proportions. Your claims that the Visigoths were great defenders of
their kingdom can hardly be upheld against the weakness and chaos
that was bestowed on Visigothic Spain in the 6th century. Only at the
end of the 6th century do we see a revival of state power in Spain
under a Visigothic kingship. However, this power degenerated quickly
and by the mid 7th century the state was once again weakened by
economic crisis, persecutions of the Jews and persecution and large
scale extermination of the Visigothic nobility. When in 711 the
Islamic troops arrive in Spain the defeat of Guadalete was almost
inevitable given the great weakness of the kingdom and the divisions
of the elites. In fact, the Islamic leadership was likely surprised
by the speed with which the Visigothic state collapsed. Certainly,
much later Christian/Spanish historiography regarded the conquest in
711 as a big shame and tried to belittle the impact and talk about an
immediate reversal, which simply does not hold up to scrutiny given
that Moslem rule was sustained for several centuries in Spain,
including phases of great prosperity, enlightenment and scholarly
advancements.

Dr. Dirk Faltin

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM