[gothic-l] Re: Visigoths not "Booted Out"

James Young daddio52 at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Mon Aug 9 20:02:22 UTC 2004

Dr. Dirk et al.,

As the originator of the now discarded "booted out" of Spain I feel the need to confess guilt to the accusation of ignorance of the Visigothic Spain or for that matter much of Spanish history. I want to thank again all those members whom are helping me correct that deficiency.

I've long had an admiration for Avaroes, a Spanish Islamic philosopher of Berber descent. Now I wonder if the decentralized nature of Visgothic Spain may have led to the freedom of thought and science expressed in Avaroes' philosophy in the same way that the Reformation led to the Age of Reason. And what about that "Avar" in his name?

The question that my "booted out" theory was adressing was related to possible theories for the existence of an eighth century island of the Gothic Language in the upper Balkan Peninsula. Now I ask, what happened to the Ostrogoths after they were booted out of Italy? Pannonia? Thuringia?
Jim

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM