[gothic-l] Re: Inquiry (number symbols & letters)

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Mon Aug 16 09:51:43 UTC 2004

Hi Sean,

The Gothic symbol for 90 comes from the Greek alphabet, where it was
called KOPPA.  Greek preserved certain archaic letters as numbers,
although by the time of Wulfila, these had long ceased to be used as
letters.  Some corresponded to sounds which had once existed in Greek
but later disappeared - e.g. DIGAMMA, orgiginally called WAU, which
looks like F in the Roman alphabet, and came between epsilon & zeta,
but stood for /w/.  Digamma had the numerical value 6, and
corresponds to Gothic *QAIRTHRA.

KOPPA looks similar to the Gothic sign for 90.  It was never a
distinct phoneme in Greek, but was taken along with the other letters
from Phoenecian, where it stood for the uvular plosive /q/ (Compare
the Hebrew QOPH/KUF and Arabic QAF).  In Greek it was at first used
for /k/ before back vowels, but eventually replaced by KAPPA, and
only survived as a numeral.  (Modern Greek however has replaced the
old numeral KOPPA with Z.)  Our Q (q) has the same origin, and the
same place in the alphabet, between P and R.

The other purely numerical sign in Gothic, which looks like the runic
T, is in fact derived from the archaic Greek letter SAMPI, which may
once have had the values /ks/ or /ss/, but survived into Classical
times only as the number 900.  This was probably a Greek invention,
hence its position at the end of the alphabet - although it might
have been based on an earlier Phoenecian-derived letter SAN.

I don't think that koppa/90 would have had the name AIHWS 'horse'
(<Germanic *ehwaz), since this is already taken by the fifth letter,
E, according to the Vienna-Salzburg codex (?10th century), where the
name is spelt phonetically in Roman characters: EYZ.  Given the
resemblance of the 900 symbol to the T-rune, I guess that might have
been called *TIUS (the Gothic cognate of the Norse & Old English
names for that rune).  But I don't know.  Maybe the Greek names were
borrowed.  Or maybe new Gothic names were invented based on their
previous sound values in Greek, or the values they were supposed to
have had...

You can find more details on archaic Greek letters here:

http://ptolemy.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/unicode/nonattic.html
http://ptolemy.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/unicode/numerals.html

...or by doing a search for KOPPA, SAN, SAMPI and DIGAMMA.

And for a good comparative table of runes, including the Gothic names:
http://titus.fkidg1.uni-frankfurt.de/didact/idg/germ/runennam.htm

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM