[gothic-l] Re: Inquiry (number symbols & letters)

Paul paulgazzoli at VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Aug 17 01:21:42 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:

> I don't think that koppa/90 would have had the name AIHWS 'horse'
> (<Germanic *ehwaz), since this is already taken by the fifth letter,
> E, according to the Vienna-Salzburg codex (?10th century), where the
> name is spelt phonetically in Roman characters: EYZ.  Given the
> resemblance of the 900 symbol to the T-rune, I guess that might have
> been called *TIUS (the Gothic cognate of the Norse & Old English
> names for that rune).  But I don't know.  Maybe the Greek names were
> borrowed.  Or maybe new Gothic names were invented based on their
> previous sound values in Greek, or the values they were supposed to
> have had...

> > I have also seen it conjectured as EIHWAS. Is this correct?

That it is conjectured as 'horse' is interesting--do you remember
where you saw this?

It's interesting because the archaic letters Koppa and San were used
as brands for certain pedigrees of horses. Aristophanes uses the word
'koppatia' to describe an expensive horse branded with the letter
koppa at line 23 of Clouds. According to the commentator KJ Dover,
this terminology was current when the scholion (marginal commentary)
to the line was composed, probably 250-350 AD. (Dover, ed. Clouds
(abridged edition), OUP 1970, pp. 71 and xxxi)--so this terminology
would have been current for the literate and greek-speaking Wulfila.

Anyone have further information/thoughts on this?

Best regards,
Paul

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM