[gothic-l] Re: Gothic words in Bavarian

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Aug 18 07:18:39 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:

> Hi Dirk,
>
> I'd be interested to see a list of the Gothic loanwords into
> Bavarian; I'm especially curious about the "Gothic words which are
> uniquely preserved in Bavarian".

Hi,

I will have to dig out the article I refered to earlier. One Bavarian
word that springs to mind is 'Dulds' for festival.

Do you know if these include any
> others apart from the days of the week?
>
> How certain is it that Pfait is a Gothic loan?  The word is also
> found in Old English, as PAD, with compounds such as HEREPAD (war-
> shirt = armour) and HASUPAD (grey-shirt = wolf).  According to
> Priebsch & Collinson "The German Language", OHG pfeit "seems to
have
> been shifted from a Thracian word BAITEE for a sheepskin". (BAITEE
is
> spelt in Greek letters, I used EE for Gk. eta.)

That seem possible. I had not heard of Pfait as a Gothic loanword
before Francisc mentioned it.

> Is AU the normal development of Gmc. long U: in Bavarian, as in
> standard Modern High German?  If so, this might point to the
> confusion in Gothic between O: and U:, and I guess the final T in
> Maut would imply that it was borrowed after the High German
consonant
> shift.  So this looks quite a good candidate.
>
> The "supposedly Crimean" TELICH, of course, being so very similar
> the Low German, raises the question of how much Bousbeque was
> assimilating the forms of these Gothic words to those of German or
> Dutch words he was more familiar with.  I wonder what the etymology
> of this is.

I don't know. But you are right many or most of Busbeque's Crimean
Gothis words are really Low German/Flemmish.

> Another thought: is there any evidence of Gothic vocabulary in the
> Alemannic dialects of Switzerland?

I am no aware of any study on this issue.

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM