[gothic-l] Re: Gothic words in Bavarian

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Wed Aug 18 08:29:01 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will have to dig out the article I refered to earlier. One
Bavarian
> word that springs to mind is 'Dulds' for festival.

Hi Dirk,

This word is attested in an early Christian runic inscription from
Germany.  It is mentioned in Looijenga's "Runes Around the North
Sea", Chapter 7, No. 31:

http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/arts/j.h.looijenga/c7.pdf
"31. Oberflacht (Baden-Württemberg, Germany), silver Sieblöffel,
dated 3rd th. 6th c. (Düwel 1994 :244).  A Sieblöffel is a Christian
liturgical object. Runes on the back cover about the whole length of
the handle, in unusual, relatively wide and large forms. The runes
read: gba:dulþafd.

"dulþ is a well-known word, nsf. i-stem/rootnoun, `religious feast',
cf. OHG tuld, MHG dult, Go. dulþs. The first part may be g[e]
ba `gift' nsf. o-stem. The sequence afd might be interpreted
as aft adv. `after, later' (see Bülach, nr. 10), taken that the rune
d is chosen because of the initial sound of its name, which had
become tag (with OHG sound shift), instead of older dag < *dagaz.
Would the text mean as much as: `gift - feast - hereafter' indicating
this is a gift on the occasion of the feast? I realize that the
syntax is inadequate, but this may be due to the lack of space.
(Other interpretations: Klingenberg 1974:81-94, and Opitz 1977:35).

Obviously the early (and uncertain) date makes it hard to know
whether to expect High German consanant changes.  I would have
thought not, but Looijenga refers here to devoicing, so I'm not
sure.  But if the word has survived into modern times as Dulds, the
unshifted initial D could well point to a Gothic borrowing.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM