[gothic-l] Bavarian placename

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Aug 18 07:22:26 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at A...> wrote:
> The name  Windsor was chosen by George V I believe. It was called I
do hope
> I spell this correctly Saexe-Colberg-Goethe.

Hi,

the name is Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha. Gotha is the name of a German town
and region. It has nothing to do with the Goths as far as I know. One
region of Bavaria, which retains an East Germanic name is Scheyern,
though, which was called Pagus Scirensis, i.e. the area of the Sciri
in Latin.

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM