[gothic-l] Re: Gothic words in Bavarian & German

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Wed Aug 18 14:40:32 UTC 2004

Some sources for Gothic loans in German & Bavarian.

INTERNET:
http://www.bayerische-sprache.de/Index/Rundbriefe/ Rundbrief%20Nr.%
2049%20-%20Maerz%202004.pdf
http://www.degruyter.de/rfiles/p/3110112574Textprobe.pdf

PRINT:
Wiesinger, Peter (1985) "Gotische Lehnwoerter im Bairischen", in
Fruemittelalterliche Ethnogenese im Alpenraum, 153-200

Here are some of the German words claimed as from Gothic, or from
Greek/Latin through the medium of Gothic:

STANDARD HIGH GERMAN:
Ablass < aflet(s)
anst < ansts
Bischof < Aipiskopus
Engel < Aggilus
erfuellen < usfulljan
glauben < galaubjan
Kirche < *kiriko?
Pfaffe < papa
Pfingsten (see: pfinstag)
taufen < daupjan
Teufel < diabulus

OHG
wih < weihs
nerrendeo, nerrento < nasjands

BAVARIAN:
dult < dulths
maut < mota
pfaid < paida
Ertag, Irta, etc. < *arjausdags
Pfinstag, Pfinsta, etc. < *pintadags

COMMENTS:
Some of these, like Ablass, might be calques, "loan translations",
rather than loanwords as such.  Some, like nerrento, wih, erfuellen,
etc., could just as well be native German words, cognate with the
Gothic ones, used by later missionaries for the same reason as the
Goths chose them: because they had the right meaning.  Or the use of
nerrento might owe something to Anglo-Saxon missionaries, cf. OE
neriend.  Of course, certain of the English cognates are ultimately
loans, maybe via Gothic (OE deofol, engel, cirica).  The regional
preference in OHG for certain words in the south: wih, versus
Franconian heilag; anst, vesus Franconian geba/huldi - might in some
cases reflect Gothic influence, or it could just be due to later
missions, or arbitrary differences.

Kirche/church might have been an early loans from Latin direct into
West Germanic.  (It is not thought to have come into German from with
the Anglo-Saxon missionaries.)  But the normal word in the Latin west
was ecclesia (or basilica), hence the forms in the modern Romance and
Celtic languages.  And according to the OED, "Ulphilas... belonged to
the very region and time for which we have the most weighty evidence
for the [rare] use of [Gk.] kuriakon [in the sense of a church
building]".  The derivation of the word is even discussed by Walafrid
in the 9th century, with reference to the Goths in the Greek
provinces.

Re: dulths, Koebler cites a suggestion by Lehmann, that it might be
from Latin indultum 'Erlaubnis' - but this is just a guess, I think.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Dirk,
> >
> > I'd be interested to see a list of the Gothic loanwords into
> > Bavarian; I'm especially curious about the "Gothic words which
are
> > uniquely preserved in Bavarian".
>

> Hi,
>
> I will have to dig out the article I refered to earlier. One
Bavarian
> word that springs to mind is 'Dulds' for festival.
>

> Do you know if these include any
> > others apart from the days of the week?
> >
> > How certain is it that Pfait is a Gothic loan?  The word is also
> > found in Old English, as PAD, with compounds such as HEREPAD (war-
> > shirt = armour) and HASUPAD (grey-shirt = wolf).  According to
> > Priebsch & Collinson "The German Language", OHG pfeit "seems to
> have
> > been shifted from a Thracian word BAITEE for a sheepskin".
(BAITEE

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM