[gothic-l] Re: Goths and Vandals

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Tue Aug 24 09:31:40 UTC 2004

Hi Jim,

There are some early Greek loanwords in Slavonic, for example Russian
KORABL' < Gk. karabi(on), a sort of boat.  According to Entwhistle &
Morison's "Russian & the Slavonic Languages" this must have been
borrowed before the Greek Beta became a fricative, because later
borrowings have _v_.  Do you know when that happened?  Wright, and
Streitberg I think, both say that it was before the time of the
Gothic Bible, but I don't know how long before.  (The same word was
borrowed later into Norse, giving Old Icelandic KARFI).  On the other
hand, the presumed fricative Gothic b/f > b in loanwords to Slavonic
(e.g. chl'eb < hlaifs...

Maybe a bilabial fricative sounded closer to B than to V in Slavonic
ears.  I've always assumed that Greek B went through a bilabial stage
on its way to the modern V sound, but I don't know about the timing
of any of this.

Another Greek loan to Slavonic, OB. kopije 'spear' < Gk.
koopion 'haft', is said to have been transmitted via the Germans (?
Goths).

Given such words, maybe we shouldn't read too much into Priscus's
comment beyond the immediate situation at Attila's court, or maybe it
didn't apply at an earlier time.  If it was true though, the
following article might explain it:

http://www.kortlandt.nl/publications/art198e.pdf

Here Frederik Kortlandt argues that the Goths migrated not directly
from the Vistula to the Ukraine, but along a more westerly route,
along the Danube.  This, he says, explains certain Latin & Celtic
influences on Gothic.  I'm a bit wary of some of his conclusions
though.  He seems very definite about certain things, and doesn't
mention alternate explanations, e.g.:

"The words Kreks `Greek' and dat. pl. marikreitum `pearls' also
betray the influence of an Upper German dialect without voiced
obstruents (cf. Kortlandt 1988: 9)."

Usually Got. Kreks, OE. crecas, etc. are explained as an earlier
borrowing, with K for G due to the lack of voiced stops in Germanic.
Kortlandt's idea assumes a very early date for this distinctively
Upper German consonant shift, pre 350!  Also, that the Germanic
tribes had no established name for Greeks before this time.

"Gothic phonology resembles that of Latin and Romance more than that
of the other Germanic languages" - is a curious statement.  I wonder
what exactly he has in mind here.  The other Germanic languages are
only recorded extensively in much later forms.  In the mid fourth
century the runic evidence suggests that they were much closer to
Gothic, with a simpler set of phonemes.

That said, I don't know enough to comment on the overall hypothesis.
Maybe there is something in it.

"It seems to me that gen. pl. skaurpjono `scorpions' almost suffices
to show that the Goths entered the Balkans from the west, not from
the north."

Almost suffices, I don't know, but Gk. skorpios (accute accent on i)
versus Lat. scorpio, does suggest that the Goths took the word from
Latin rather than Greek.  Another reason for the Latin influence
might be the prevelance of Latin in the military, even in the East.
I'm not sure of dates or sources for this, but I've read that Latin
persisted longest in the Eastern Empire as the official language of
the army.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, James Young <daddio52 at s...> wrote:

> Thanks llama_nom,
>
> That was a solid answer. Ovid after being banished by Augustus to
Tomis, later called Constantia, complained about the Getan
barbarization of Greek for about a year, but later seemed to get used
to it. I know that was maybe a hundred and fifty years before the
Goths moved into the Black Sea region, and that the Getans were
probably a non-German Sarmation group with distant Iranian (Arian?)
roots; but I thought Greek was the trade language for the Eastern
free tribes as well as for the Eastern Empire. And the idea of
Jordanes' reference to ancient kings from the south. Oh well.

> Thanks again,
>
> Jim
>
> llama_nom <penterakt at f...> wrote:
>

> > James Young <daddio52 at s...> wrote:
> >

> > If small groups of Vandals and Goths met on the steppe or along
the
> Majorcan coast, could they understand one another's native
language;
> and what about non-Germans? Was there a sign language, smoke
signals,
> flashing mirrors, or was everything Greek, Latin, and fisticuffs?
Did

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM