[gothic-l] Re: Goths and Vandals

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Wed Aug 25 08:03:00 UTC 2004

***<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hi Llama nom!

Having nothing to add to the matter in question, I'd like to discuss some
your postulates regarding Greek and Gothic influences on Slavonic.

Pronunciation of the Greek Beta as _v_ in Russian loanwords from Greek
is usual but not absolutely obligatory. Note that Old Russian borrowed
most of Greek words in a written form (from ecclesiastic literature,
hence not earlier than in the XI c.). No matter, which way the real Middle
(Byzantine) Greeks pronounced the Beta in the XI c., Russian monks never
heard Greek enunciation and translated solely manuscripts. From this standpoint,
the Beta might be translated (black and white) as _b_ or _v_ depending on
preferences of a particular translator. Predominance of the variant _v_
is explained only by the fact that many Greek texts, especially within the initial
period after the Christening, came to Russia through Bulgaria already translated
into Old Bulgarian (Old Slavonic) where the Bulgarians, well acquainted
with the Greek culture and language, used to put the Slavonic V-equivalent
instead of the Beta. Nevertheless, there are a few modern Russian loanwords
from Greek with _b_ in place of the Greek Beta. Besides the mentioned
<korabl'> I'd point out the word <bibliya> 'the Bible' that preserved
both _b_ of the Greek original. Maybe we have here an example of
a "holding action" of the _l_ after the Beta?

Now we touch "the presumed fricative Gothic b/f > b in loanwords to Slavonic".
but "quality" of this _b_ is under question. I do not know how exact is reflection
of the sound in a conventional writing _b_. At least the modern Russians
pronounce <hlep> while the modern Finns pronounce <laipa>, both with _p_
in place of the Gothic _b/f_.

Regards

Vladimir