[gothic-l] Re: Goths and Vandals

James Young daddio52 at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Mon Aug 30 04:36:20 UTC 2004

llama_nom <penterakt at fsmail.net> wrote:

Hi Jim,

There are some early Greek loanwords in Slavonic, for example Russian
KORABL' < Gk. karabi(on), a sort of boat.  According to Entwhistle &
Morison's "Russian & the Slavonic Languages" this must have been
borrowed before the Greek Beta became a fricative, because later
borrowings have _v_.  Do you know when that happened?

I don't know. Did Jason sail up the Dnieper or Don far enough to reach the Prippet marshes? I think Miletus, an island city-state off the coast of what is now Turkey, established most of the Black Sea posts during the reign of Cyrus in Persia. But, maybe it was the Trojans.

Wright, and
Streitberg I think, both say that it was before the time of the
Gothic Bible, but I don't know how long before.  (The same word was

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM