[gothic-l] Re: Gothic & Greek B in Slabonic

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Wed Aug 25 16:06:48 UTC 2004

Hi Vladimir!

Ah, so the appearance of /b/ in korabl' isn't necessarly evidence in
itself for an early borrowing.  Thanks for the extra background
details.

I guess even if we could pin down the pronunciation of Gothic <b> at
any one time, that still leaves a wide area in space and time where
the exact value is unknown.  In Primitive Germanic, it is thought
that there was originally no voiced bilabial stop except after /m/.
Elsewhere there was only a fricative /b/, which eventually became a
stop initially in all of the historically attested Germanic
languages, including Gothic.  Medially and finally it remained a
fricative in OE, OS, ON, but became a stop in OHG.  In Gothic, <b>
was used to transliterate a fricative in the name of the Roman month
November, Got. Naubaimber.

The alternation of <b> : <f> in inflection also implies that at some
time at least <b> stood for a fricative.

Latin writers spelt Gothic <b> as <b> initially.  Medially, they
normally used <v> (Braune/Helm, Gotische Grammatik, 54).  After /l/
and /r/ Gothic <b> is usually considered to represent a stop, since
it isn't devoiced to <f> at the end of a word.  Against this is the
personal name Silva, but the spelling of this particular name was
probably influenced by the Latin word.

It has also been suggested that Greek Paulos retained a fricative
pronunciation in Gothic Pawlus, giving rise eventually to Spanish
Pablo (Braune/Helm, Gotische Grammatik, 39.1) - maybe with an
intermediate stop stage between Gothic & Modern Spanish?

Occasionally final <f> (representing an earlier /b/) appears written
as <b>, especially in Luke and certain other parts of the Bible.  But
I'm not sure whether this was just a spelling difference, or if the
analogy extended to speech.

Finnish laipa might have come from Germanic or Old Norse:
hlaibaz/hlaibaR.  The modern Russian, etc. pronunciation _hlep_ is a
later development, isn't it?  It has <b> in Old Bulgarian.

My thought was that to speakers of a language which has a labio-
dental fricative /v/ and a bilabial stop /b/, hearing words of
another language with a voiced bilabial fricative, it isn't a
foregone conclusion that they would interpret this as closer to /v/.
For example, the Spanish <b>, <v> which has very little friction
sounds to me more like English /b/ than /v/.  Maybe that's why Gothic
hlaib- appears in Russian as hl'eb.  The common omission of medial
<g> in Gothic names by Latin writers makes me think that maybe this
too had a fairly gentle pronunciation, more like Spanish <g> than say
Dutch.

Maybe the writers of Old Bulgarian who prefered <v> to transcribe the
Greek beta, were following in a tradition themselves, as the later
Russian writers were - imitating each other.  But an adhoc oral
loanword might involve a more arbitrary choice of nearest equivalent
sound.  Or maybe the Greek sound had become closer to OB /v/ at this
time?

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at i...> wrote:
> ***<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-
com:office:office" />

> Hi Llama nom!
>

> Having nothing to add to the matter in question, I'd like to
discuss some
> your postulates regarding Greek and Gothic influences on Slavonic.
>
> Pronunciation of the Greek Beta as _v_ in Russian loanwords from
Greek
> is usual but not absolutely obligatory. Note that Old Russian
borrowed
> most of Greek words in a written form (from ecclesiastic
literature,
> hence not earlier than in the XI c.). No matter, which way the real
Middle
> (Byzantine) Greeks pronounced the Beta in the XI c., Russian monks
never
> heard Greek enunciation and translated solely manuscripts. From
this standpoint,
> the Beta might be translated (black and white) as _b_ or _v_
depending on
> preferences of a particular translator. Predominance of the variant
_v_
> is explained only by the fact that many Greek texts, especially
within the initial
> period after the Christening, came to Russia through Bulgaria
already translated
> into Old Bulgarian (Old Slavonic) where the Bulgarians, well
acquainted
> with the Greek culture and language, used to put the Slavonic V-
equivalent
> instead of the Beta. Nevertheless, there are a few modern Russian
loanwords
> from Greek with _b_ in place of the Greek Beta. Besides the
mentioned
> <korabl'> I'd point out the word <bibliya> 'the Bible' that
preserved
> both _b_ of the Greek original. Maybe we have here an example of
> a "holding action" of the _l_ after the Beta?
>
> Now we touch "the presumed fricative Gothic b/f > b in loanwords to
Slavonic".
> You know, the stem of the Gothic word <hlaifs> was <hlaib> (cf. G.
<hlaibis>),
> but "quality" of this _b_ is under question. I do not know how
exact is reflection
> of the sound in a conventional writing _b_. At least the modern
Russians
> pronounce <hlep> while the modern Finns pronounce <laipa>, both
with _p_
> in place of the Gothic _b/f_.
>

> Regards
>
> Vladimir

Russian
> KORABL' < Gk. karabi(on), a sort of boat.  According to Entwhistle
&
> Morison's "Russian & the Slavonic Languages" this must have been
> borrowed before the Greek Beta became a fricative, because later
> borrowings have _v_.  Do you know when that happened?  Wright, and
> Streitberg I think, both say that it was before the time of the
> Gothic Bible, but I don't know how long before.  (The same word was
> borrowed later into Norse, giving Old Icelandic KARFI).  On the
other
> hand, the presumed fricative Gothic b/f > b in loanwords to
Slavonic
> (e.g. chl'eb < hlaifs...
>
> Maybe a bilabial fricative sounded closer to B than to V in
Slavonic
> ears.  I've always assumed that Greek B went through a bilabial
stage
> on its way to the modern V sound, but I don't know about the timing
> of any of this.
>
> Another Greek loan to Slavonic, OB. kopije 'spear' < Gk.
> koopion 'haft', is said to have been transmitted via the Germans (?
> Goths).
>
> Given such words, maybe we shouldn't read too much into Priscus's
> comment beyond the immediate situation at Attila's court, or maybe
it
> didn't apply at an earlier time.  If it was true though, the
> following article might explain it:
>
> http://www.kortlandt.nl/publications/art198e.pdf
>
> Here Frederik Kortlandt argues that the Goths migrated not directly
> from the Vistula to the Ukraine, but along a more westerly route,
> along the Danube.  This, he says, explains certain Latin & Celtic
> influences on Gothic.  I'm a bit wary of some of his conclusions
> though.  He seems very definite about certain things, and doesn't
> mention alternate explanations, e.g.:
>
> "The words Kreks `Greek' and dat. pl. marikreitum `pearls' also
> betray the influence of an Upper German dialect without voiced
> obstruents (cf. Kortlandt 1988: 9)."
>
> Usually Got. Kreks, OE. crecas, etc. are explained as an earlier
> borrowing, with K for G due to the lack of voiced stops in
Germanic.
> Kortlandt's idea assumes a very early date for this distinctively
> Upper German consonant shift, pre 350!  Also, that the Germanic
> tribes had no established name for Greeks before this time.
>
> "Gothic phonology resembles that of Latin and Romance more than
that
> of the other Germanic languages" - is a curious statement.  I
wonder
> what exactly he has in mind here.  The other Germanic languages are
> only recorded extensively in much later forms.  In the mid fourth
> century the runic evidence suggests that they were much closer to
> Gothic, with a simpler set of phonemes.
>
> That said, I don't know enough to comment on the overall
hypothesis.
> Maybe there is something in it.
>
> "It seems to me that gen. pl. skaurpjono `scorpions' almost
suffices
> to show that the Goths entered the Balkans from the west, not from
> the north."
>
> Almost suffices, I don't know, but Gk. skorpios (accute accent on
i)
> versus Lat. scorpio, does suggest that the Goths took the word from
> Latin rather than Greek.  Another reason for the Latin influence
> might be the prevelance of Latin in the military, even in the
East.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM