[gothic-l] Niujis

gur_idhren gur_idhren at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 15 05:48:14 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I recently became interested in the Gothic language after being referred to a course by
David Salo, whose works I am familiar with. I'm in highschool and have an interest in dead
and Classical languages, having taken Latin for 6 years and studied Greek and Hebrew.
However, most of my study and interest has been in the languages invented by J.R.R.
Tolkien (namely Quenya, but also Sindarin).

I printed out and have begun to read through David's course, and it seems to be an
excellent source by which I can teach myself the language. However, I don't want get stuck
with one source as I'm not sure how controversial Gothic grammar and phonology is
(coming from Tolkien's languages one must be extremely skeptical :-)).

I was wondering if someone here could refer me to other reliable online grammar outlines,
wordlists, courses etc. I would particularly like to find a good guide for Gothic
pronunciation or at least some clarification on Mr Salo had to say about it, which was
confusing and unthourough to me.

I'd rather not spend any money on books unless I have to, and I found this :: http://
www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/goth_wright_about.html :: site which has on it J.
Wright's Grammar of the Gothic Language, but it is very unorganized and nearly
impossible to find anything that I might need from it.

Any help someone could provide me would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Regards,
Andrew

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM