[gothic-l] Re: Map of the Germanic (Gothic?) place-names in Poland

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Fri Jan 16 23:21:24 UTC 2004

RE: my earlier message,

1. goplo/gapel - My applogies! I've just checked again and I see
that I'd copied it down wrong and mistaken the /p/ for a thorn.
Still, /p/ is unusual in Germanic and often indicates a borrowed
word, so I'd be curious to know what this root means.

2. Gerhard Koebler gives two Latin forms for Gothic *Griutingos,
namely Greotingi and Greutungi.  If this is indeed the origin of the
Grudzadz, it would suggest that the tribal name is older than is
generally thought, since the usual explanation is that it
signifies "steppe-dwellers" (from *Griut 'stone, grit, gravel,
sand'), i.e. those Goths living on the north shore of the Black Sea,
as distinct from the other major Gothic tribe/confederation, the
Tervingi "forest-dwellers".  This theory is given in Gordon &
Taylor "An Introduction to Old Norse".

In Peter Heather's "The Goths", the graves of the Chernjakhov
culture are lined with stone, perhaps due to the lack of available
timber, while those of the more northerly Wielbark culture are lined
with wood.

Llama Nom

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM