[gothic-l] Re: New to the list with questions

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jan 30 11:10:48 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Hello, Rutgur, and welcome to the Gothic list!
>
> I don't know much about Gothic dressing, except something which is
> notorious: the Goths (both Ostro- and Vizi-), as well as their
close
> relatives - the Gepidae, wore fibulae having the shape of birds of
> prey. In the case of chieftains, these fibulae were made of gold,
> often adorned with gems.

Hi Francic,

these 'eagle-fibulae' are of course very well known, and the shape
was also adopted by Thuringians and Alamannians, but it is of course
a typical Gotho-Gepidic form. Yet, you wrote about chieftains wearing
such fibulae, which I think is not correct. The large eagle fibulae
are part of the female dress, it was worn by wealthy Gothic and
Gepidic women not by men (at least not the typical large ones). The
same is true for the eagle belt-buckle, they are mostly from female
graves.

Cheers
Dirk

> Francisc
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Rudiger von Stuttgart"
> <sgt_rutgur at h...> wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I'm experienced in the SCA but I'm looking for a new perspective,
> > hope you folks can help.
> >
> > Throughout the Visigothic culture (including the Kingdom on the
> > Iberean penninsula) was there any preponderance of paricular
colors
> > in their clothing, or some colors that they simply had no access?
> >
> > Is there a *pattern* that can be associated with the Goths? (I'm
> > thinking like knotwork is associated with the Celts and Vikings).
> >
> > I'm assuming that they wore primarily wool, may be with some
linen
> > (please correct me if I'm in error), and perhaps some furs.
> >
> > Did they favor any paricular metals for ornamentation (bronze vs.
> > brass vs. silver)?  And were there any particular geometric
shapes
> > that they favored?
> >
> > Did the Goths favor any animals, as totems, or for ornamental
> > purposes?
> >
> > I know this is a mouthful right out of the gate, but I thank you
> all
> > in advance for some direction on these subjects.
> >
> > Finally, are there any good links to drawings or artwork showing
> > typical Gothic daily clothing and/or military dress?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Rutgur

To visit your group on the web, go to: