[gothic-l] "Das Grab Am Busento" poem by August von Platen

glbaker50613 glbaker50613 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 27 21:58:04 UTC 2004

Many years ago, when I was a student at Iowa State, I ran across
August von Platen's poem in a German class. It was about the burial
of the body of the deceased Visigothic king Alaric I, in the bed of
the Busento River, which had been temporarily diverted by a coffer-
dam. The place, as I remembered from the poem, was near the small
city of Cosenza, near the southwestern tip of Italy.

Also many years ago in the Boston area, I knew a young man who was
named "Lou Broccoli," perhaps related to the man who made the "James
Bond" movies. While trying to look him up recently, I found that one
of the Broccoli family traced his origin to "Cozenza" (sic), and that
reminded me of the old poem.

I wonder if anyone ever tried to find that grave, or had any idea of
where it might be.

Gerald Baker

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM