[gothic-l] Questions about "the Getica"

paulyz2play Bardunias at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 23 21:25:16 UTC 2004

I recently read Jordanes for the first time- after reading the first
hundred or so posts on this site.  It seems that most believe the
whole digression about the Goths being Getic and the confusing
addition of the Skythian invasion of the levant as a part of the
history of the Goths is is just thrown out, while the Scandia
connection is assumed to be valid. I have read that Authors believe
he was just confusing Getic with Gothic and trying to reconcile what
he knew.

Has it been suggested that the reason the history is so confused is
that the Goths themselves were somewhat ethnically confused? Most
agree that they were a mix of many peoples, yet there seems to be
arguement over which group was dominant.  Pehaps the mixing of
Dacians, Skythian/sarmatian, and germanic elements simply refects the
ethnicity and traditions of the Goths themselves.

I am curious about the influence of the Sarmatians on the early
Gothic culture.  Is it known exactly where the Goths were when they
first became Sarmatianized?  I am thinking mostly in terms of their
military which I am most familiar with.

Thanks,

Paul