[gothic-l] New to the list with questions

Rudiger von Stuttgart sgt_rutgur at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 21 14:46:01 UTC 2004

Greetings all,

I'm experienced in the SCA but I'm looking for a new perspective, I
hope you folks can help.

Throughout the Visigothic culture (including the Kingdom on the
Iberean penninsula) was there any preponderance of paricular colors
in their clothing, or some colors that they simply had no access?

Is there a *pattern* that can be associated with the Goths? (I'm
thinking like knotwork is associated with the Celts and Vikings).

I'm assuming that they wore primarily wool, may be with some linen
(please correct me if I'm in error), and perhaps some furs.

Did they favor any paricular metals for ornamentation (bronze vs.
brass vs. silver)?  And were there any particular geometric shapes
that they favored?

Did the Goths favor any animals, as totems, or for ornamental
purposes?

I know this is a mouthful right out of the gate, but I thank you all
in advance for some direction on these subjects.

Finally, are there any good links to drawings or artwork showing
typical Gothic daily clothing and/or military dress?

Best Regards,
Rutgur

To visit your group on the web, go to: