[gothic-l] About myself

gerald baker glbaker50613 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 29 21:10:45 UTC 2004

I live in Cedar Falls, Iowa, near the University of
Northern Iowa, and am an alumnus of Iowa State
University, in Ames. Although I have only a Modern
(foreign) Languages minor from my undergraduate days,
I improved my German in 1970 when I visited several
different parts of Germany. I took the first Russian
class that was ever offered at Iowa State, in 1953-54,
and remember my high school Latin pretty well, too.

The University here has Sigmund Feist's Gothic
Dictionary and a Gothic Greek bilingual of those parts
of the New Testament that are known in Gothic. It also
has Pokorny's 2-volume "Indogerm. Etymologisches
Woerterbuch," which I consult frequently.

I learned of your site by doing a word search for
Alaric's grave in the Busento River. I still remember
parts of von Platen's poem from a college German
course.

Gerald Baker