Re: [gothic-l] Re: háils

Manie Lombard manielombard at CHELLO.AT
Thu Jul 15 21:57:23 UTC 2004

Háils Llama Nom

Thank you very much for your reply!!! Has anybody already tried to reconstruct the Gothic names according to the Old English names?

My attempt (according to the Latin forms):

January: *januarius (or *ianuarius?)

February: *faíbruarius

March: *martius

April: *aprilis

May: *maius

June: *junius (*iunius?)

July: *julius (*iulius?)

August: *awgustus

September: *saíptaímbaír

October: *aúktaúbaír

November: naúbaímbaír

December: *daíkaímbaír

The days of the week according to your information and the list of Gerhard Köbler:

Monday: ?

Tuesday: *areinsdags, *arjausdags

Wednesday: ?

Thursday: *pintadags, *paíntedags, paraskaíwe

Friday: *pareinsdags

Saturday: sabbato

Sunday: *fráujinsdags

So for Monday and Wednesday we don't have any knowledge so far?

Regards

Manie