[gothic-l] Re: háils

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 19 10:58:53 UTC 2004

Hi Manie,

naúbaímbaír is correct, being attested in the Gothic calendar
fragment of the 6th century
(http://www.wulfila.be/gothic/text/minora/Kalender.html).
There, November is also called "fruma Juleis" ("first Yule"), thus
it's almost sure that December (very probablu *daíkaímbaír, as
reconstructed by you) was alternatively called *anthar Juleis
("second Yule").

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Manie Lombard" <manielombard at c...>
wrote:
> Háils Llama Nom
>

> Thank you very much for your reply!!! Has anybody already tried to
reconstruct the Gothic names according to the Old English names?

> My attempt (according to the Latin forms):
>

> January: *januarius (or *ianuarius?)
>
> February: *faíbruarius
>
> March: *martius
>
> April: *aprilis
>
> May: *maius
>
> June: *junius (*iunius?)
>
> July: *julius (*iulius?)
>
> August: *awgustus
>
> September: *saíptaímbaír
>
> October: *aúktaúbaír
>
> November: naúbaímbaír
>
> December: *daíkaímbaír
>

> The days of the week according to your information and the list of
Gerhard Köbler:

> Monday: ?
>
> Tuesday: *areinsdags, *arjausdags
>
> Wednesday: ?
>
> Thursday: *pintadags, *paíntedags, paraskaíwe
>
> Friday: *pareinsdags
>
> Saturday: sabbato
>
> Sunday: *fráujinsdags
>

> So for Monday and Wednesday we don't have any knowledge so far?
>

> Regards
>
> Manie

More
>   speculatively, one could reconstruct Gothic forms for the other
>   months according to the Old English names...
>
>   Regarding the days of the week, the Bible contains Sabbato
(Saturday,
>   that is The Sabbath).  Also in the Bible, are "fruma sabbato"
which
>   is used at Mk 15,42 for "Sabbath eve" = "the day before the
Sabbath",
>   but at Mk 16,9 it signifies "the day after the Sabbath".
>
>   Intriguingly, there exist in some southern German speaking
regions
>   alternate names for some weekdays, which seem to show the
influence
>   of the Greek day names.  It is possible that these were taken
into
>   German through Gothic.  Here is a list of the reconstructed
Gothic
>   forms mentioned in Gerhard Koebler's "Gotisches Woerterbuch":
>
>   *areinsdags - Tuesday
>   *pintadags - Thursday
>   *pareinsdags - Friday
>
>   I have read that there is a Swiss name for Sunday: Frontag.  This
>   one's not mentioned in Koebler's dictionary.  I wonder if it
could
>   have been inspired by a Gothic *fraujinsdags?  (Greek: hee
kuriakee).

>   Llama Nom
>

>   --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Manie Lombard"
<manielombard at c...>
>   wrote:
>   > Hails!
>   >
>   > My name is Manie Lombard. I'm 41, married, have two children
and
>   live in Viena, Austria. I'm generally interested in languages.
The
>   reason why I joined this group is, because I've got some
questions.
>   >
>   > Are the gothic names of the week days known, and if yes, what
are
>   they called? Are the names of the months known,
besides "Naubaimbair"

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.