[gothic-l] Re: Baltic Amber

James Young daddio52 at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sat Jul 17 00:29:07 UTC 2004

Ingemar,

Do you think Hermanric, the Ostrogoth, was trying to cut the Huns out of the northern silk routs?

Were there two Athanarics?

Jim

Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar at nordgren.se> wrote:
--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "James Young" <daddio52 at s...> wrote:

> As early as the Agustus era a merchant was sent to the Baltic to make
> purchases of Amber He reported back that there was a sophisticated
> wholesale system established on the coast. Could this have been
> controlled by the Goths?

Hi James,

I know of that visit and it seems as he visited the Elblag area. This
area is later by Jerzy Ockulicz connected with the Gepids but also the
Vidivarii are mentioned in connection with this. I am personally
convinced the Goths controlled at least part of the amber trade and
later the great tradecentre was in Elblag. Gutenbrunner saw this as
the first incitament for the Goths to settle in the Vistula-area.

Best
Ingemar

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM