[gothic-l] Re: Baltic Amber

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sat Jul 17 23:33:26 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, James Young <daddio52 at s...> wrote:
> Ingemar,
>
> Do you think Hermanric, the Ostrogoth, was trying to cut the Huns
out of the northern silk routs?

> Were there two Athanarics?
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

I've never heard of that. The extent of his supposed realm only is
suggested by Cassiodorus/Jordanes and hence we know little of it.
Archaeology shows the way the Goths spread from the North but
archaeological finds do not suggest a Gothic control of the silk
routes in the time of Ermanarik - as far as I know anyway. He had work
enough to try to stop the Hunnic onslaught after they were driven
westwards themselves. As you know he didn't succed and Balamber took
over and made the Ostrogoths subordinated allies. Concerning the
kindins Athanarik there was only one but Jordanes mentiones him in one
context rather as Gothic/Ostrogothic king than Vesigothic kindins but
in another section he is Vesigothic. It needs kind of interpretation
when reading Getica.

Best
Ingemar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM