[gothic-l] Re: Friedegern

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 22 10:47:41 UTC 2004

Hi, Le

Jordanes wrote only that Fritigern was one of "their princes and the
leaders who ruled them [the Visigoths] in place of kings", but
doesn't mention his ancestry.
The spelling "gg" for [ng] and gk for [nk] was borrowed by Wulfila
from Greek, but it's only a matter of writing, not of pronounciation.
When spoken, Gothic didn't sound quite like German, because it had no
Umlauts (ö, ü), no "sh" sound (German "sch"), but it had "th" like
English (and not like German). However, taking into account the
fairly conservative vocalism of German, many Gothic words sounded
quite similar to their Modern German counterparts, for instance:
ains compared to German eins, ein (pronounced [aints], [ain]), but
English one, Danish, Swedish en, W.Frisian ien
twai compares to German zwei (pronounced [tsvai]), but English two,
Danish to, Swedish två, W.Frisian twa
stains compared to German Stein (pronounced [shtain]), but English
stone, Danish, Swedish sten
augo compared to German Auge, but English eye, Danish øje, Swedish
öga, Frisian each.
I don't know how sounds Frisian, but from the few examples above it's
not at all similar to Gothic.
Regarding "Saxon", I don't know what language do you understand under
this name:
- the Old Saxon language of the "Heliand" Biblic poem (9-10th
century)?
- the Anglo-Saxon (Old English) language?
- the Middle Low German language of the Hanseatic cities, called by
it's speakers "Saxon"?
- the modern Upper Saxon (obersächsisch) dialect, a form of Modern
High German?
- the modern Lower Saxon (niedersächsisch) dialect, a form of Modern
Low German?
- the German dialects spoken by the Transylvanian Saxons?
or something else?

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at A...> wrote:
>  Can someone tell me who the parents of Friedegern the leader of
the Goths
> at Adrianople. Were these Visigoths or Ostrogoths. Since some of
the double
> consenants in their language made the ng sound like double g of
even kn. Did
> they
> borrow these from Greek?  When spoken did iit sound like a form of
German.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM