[gothic-l] Re: háils & month names

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Thu Jul 22 14:14:06 UTC 2004

Dear Ingemar,

Well, it's also a fairly chaotic assembly of disparate bits of
information, and pure speculation in so far as it relates to Gothic -
but I learnt some interesting stuff about the other Germanic
calenders along the way...  I was particularly intrigued by the
survival into relatively modern times of the old German & Dutch month
names, and I wonder whether there were any local survivals in other
areas.  I'm trying to track down a reference I found once to a month
called "lithe" in an English weather rhyme, but I've a feeling it
might have been applied to one of the spring months.

Very sorry about the garbled characters and when I get time I'll go
through it and try to sort that out a bit for you.  The extracts from
Cleasby & Vigfussen - a great source for obscure information on Old
Norse concepts - comes from Sean Christ's Indo-European resources
page:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/language_resources.html

The dictionary has just been scanned and converted automatically into
text, so any attempt to correct that would invlolve a deal of
interpretation on my part - although a lot of the errors are obvious
ones.  But I can clean it up a bit, and I'll just leave anything I'm
not sure about.  Incidentally, how do you post files?  I can't seem
to find an "add file" to click...

Llama

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at n...>
wrote:

> Dear Llama,
>
> This is quite interesting and a good try of reconstruction of
> calendars. I would like to preserve it better  but some characters
of
> quite important meaning are not readable on my computer even if I
> doubtless have the fonts. It is evidently the messenger/browser that
> is wrongly set for reception. Could you please lie it all as a
> word-file in the file section or send it as attachment directly to
my
> adress?
>
> Best
> Ingemar
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:
> >

> > Hails Manie,
> >
> > For the sake of completeness, as a Gothic name for Monday I've
toyed
> > with the variants: *Daiwtairadags, *Diutadags (after Greek, the
> > second more assimilated to Gothic sounds), or *Meninsdags (after
> > other Germanic languages), or some innocent calque like:
Anthardags.
> > No evidence for any of them, I'm afraid, as far as I know.  And
I'm

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM